The collection offers an almost complete view of this important Tuscan town’s artistic production. A triptych and a polyptych testify the big influence of Duccio di Buoninsegna’s work, even where personalities like those of the Lorenzetti brothers were proposing more modern solutions. While a “St. Peter” and a “St. Paul” witness Ambrogio Lorenzetti latest style. The generation that overcome the Black Death crises in 1348, is represented by the works of Luca Tommè (Madonna col Bambino), the so-called Master of Panzano (“Madonna col Bambino” and “ The Saints”) and, above all, Bartolo di Fredi, who carried out an intense activity for the many Church in Montalcino.
His most important pieceof work is the eclectic and impressive polyptych dedicated to Our Lady’s Incoronation and Life, dated 1388 and reassembled here for the first time, gathering panels from the Museum of Montalcino and the Academy of Fine Arts in Siena.
The late Gothic period is repressed here by a fine “Madonna dell’Unità” by Sano di Pietro, author of an effigy of S. Bernardino also contained in this collection. As for the Sixteenth century, a “Madonna della Misericordia” by Vincenzo Tamagni from S.Gimignano, reveals some trace of Raffaello’s style.
A teste of Beccafumi’s peculiarity and gracefulness is traceable in the “Madonna con Bambino e Santi” panel-painting by Marco Pino, his most talented pupil.
The valuable group of painted wooden sculptures holds a particular importance for the Museum of Montalcino. Giovanni Pisano’s strong and expressive feature are fully reflected in a “Madonna col Bambino”. A small crucifix of light and elegant forms, is presumed to be a work of Giovanni d’Agostino , a most important sculptor and architect of the New Cathedral of Siena, who, in his carvings, translated Simone Martini’s sophisticated figurations. Two groups of the Annunciation and several crucifixes, give testimony of the vary high standard of the Senese wood-carving masters who lived in the second half of Fourteenth Century. The magnificent era of late Gothic sculpture is represented by work of the Senese sculpture irepresented by the work of the senese sculptor Giovanni di Torino , who proved himself to be a careful disciple of Lorenzo Ghiberti’s style and with two figures carved by Francesco di Valdambrino : an impressive “ St.Peter” donated to Montalcino by Pio III and a fine crucifix displaying the very apex of this refined and delicate Senese sculptor , a friend and collaborator of Jacopo della Quercia’s.
More paintings and wooden sculptures document sixteenth and seventeenth century’s production .The Museum also preserves an extraordinary group of fifty-two majolica mugs , locally manufacture between the late thirteenth and early fourteenth century, and a collection of vestments and sacred jewels from sixteenth to eighteenth century. Val d’Orcia presents a territorial, environmental, historical and cultural unity of rare beauty and singularity. The link between human work, historically layered throughout the centuries (farms, towns, castles, churches and cultivations, vineyards, olive groves), and natural features ( hills, crags, ravines, streams and gullies), represents a well-preserved landscape and artistic reality ; this mainly as a consequence of an economic policy that today ,is particularly careful towards agricultural and touristic development. The idea of an artistic and natural park in Val d’Orcia comes from the Provincial Administration of Siena and its attention towards the preservation of this reality by encouraging a development based on both the residents’ need and the safeguard of the environment.
The Archaeological Section
The Archaeological Section, is part of the Museums of Montalcino, opened in 2008. The land around Montalcino was inhabited as early as the Palaeolithic and Neolithic Age, as attested by the discovery of a’ stone industry’ in which more than two-thousand stone tools were preserved. The Bronze age is represented by a village from the second millennium B.C. with shelters for the huts and a burial cave. Archaeological excavation have unearthed interesting pottery finds, including finely decorated table and kitchen ware. The Iron Age has left traces of proto-historic fortified hilltop settlements and sporadic evidence of life up to Villanovan times. The Etruscans studded the countryside with simple chamber tombs; the tomb furnishings have yielded up pottery, including some bucchero pieces, tools, and ornaments. The Romans who succeeded the Etruscans left remains of houses, burials, and evidence of daily living not only in the countryside but also in what is now the town centre of Montalcino. The substantial archaeological material brought to light, also thanks to the constant activity of volunteers, is now preserved in the archaeological section of the Civic and DiocesanMuseum. This collection, already in existence since 1958, was originally housed in the new Town Hall on Piazza Cavour. The Archaeological section traces the ancient history of the Montalcino area from prehistoric times through the Etruscan and Roman periods up the Middle Ages, and contains a collection of stone tools, including the stones from the prehistoric Italic fortified settlement on the hill called Poggio Castellare, stone urns, and various finds from the prehistoric site of Castelnuovo dell’Abate (arrowheads, burins, and scrapers). Bones from the Bronze Age burial deposit are also in the collection. A rich group of Etruscan finds (bowls, clocks, jars) come from various sites around Montalcino, including Poggio della Civitella, and tombs found in the area. Among these is the entire set of tomb furnishings from the tomb called Fossa del Tesoro at Sant’ Angelo in Colle and some objects from Buca di Sant’Antimo dating back to the fourth or third century B.C. (earrings, whorls, strigils, bowls, and sharpeners). On display are also finds from ancient Roman times and terracotta jars from the barbarian period (sixth seventh centuries A.D.).
Museo Civioco Diocesano. Raccolta Archeologica
Via Ricasoli,31 - 53024 Montalcino (SI)
OPENING TIME September-March 10.00-13.00 and 14.00-17.40 / April–October 10.00-13.00 and 14.00-17.50. Closed on Monday and 25 December, 1 January
ADMISSION:€4.50 FULL PRICE / € 6.00 FORTRESS AND MUSEUM / € 3.00 REDUCED groups and childrens € 4.50 MUSEUM AND FORTRESS – REDUCED GROUPS
THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY FOR GUIDED TOURS AND DIDACTIC LABORATORY WITH BOOKING